4 Ways to Increase Water Efficiency in your Home

Although it may seem like here in the U.S. water is in abundant supply, only about 3.5 percent of the Earth’s water is available fresh water that falls from the sky and moves into our streams, rivers, lakes, and groundwater. The other 96.5 percent comes from our oceans.  Unfortunately, water waste has created a situation where the possibility of a water shortage could be a very real situation for us.  That’s why it’s so important to reduce the amount of water waste on a daily basis.

Summertime is critical for water savings
During the hottest time of the year, homeowners increase their water usage by a large amount to maintain their lawns, shrubs and flowers; they also provide recreation for swimming in pools or backyard water slides and games.  Businesses are doing the same to keep their landscaping looking fresh and vibrant; water parks and community parks are offering fun ways for kids to cool off.  People also tend to use more water in the summer to do laundry, wash their cars and hose down patios; maybe even Fido will get a bath more frequently in the summer.

In addition to the fact that water usage increases by a large amount in the summer, what’s worse is the amount of water waste that accumulates during usage.  Think about the amount of run off that takes place when you’re watering flowers and shrubs, and amount of water wasted when you’re washing your car or giving the dog a bath.  To conserve water, especially during these peak times, it’s important to limit the amount of water that is wasted.  There are a number of water conservation techniques and water saving tools that can help accomplish this task.

  1. Running Water – Whether you’re brushing your teeth or doing the dishes, don’t let the water run needlessly. Turn the water off while you brush.  Use a dish pan to soak and wash the dishes, then rinse them quickly under cool water.  The savings is incredible; you can save up to 8 gallons of water per day by simply turning the water off while you brush!
  2. Got Leaks? Did you know that leaks waste more than 100,000 gallons every year in the average home? Checking for leaks is easy, and most of the time fixing water leaks is even easier!  Not to mention the opportunity to optimize water efficiency and reduce expenses. Toilets, faucets and indoor and outdoor showers are the first places to check.
  3. Recycle! It may sound silly, but you can actually re-use water that would otherwise be wasted. For example, while you’re waiting for the shower water to heat up, place a bucket under the tub faucet to catch the cold water for watering plants! Or how about re-using hot water that you use during cooking (vegetable stock, anyone?).
  4. Toilet & Shower – Replace your old showerhead with a low-flow head and go from using 2.5 gallons per minute to under 2 gallons per minute. And did you know that toilets are the biggest contributor to water usage?  Consider a high-efficiency toilet and save up to 13,000 gallons of water per year in your home.

Every little bit counts!  These tips don’t take much to implement, it’s just a matter of creating new habits that help the environment, your plumbing system and your wallet!  Do your part to protect and preserve for a friendlier, longer-lasting planet.

For more advice on how to reduce maximize water efficiency in your living or work space, contact us to schedule an on-site evaluation.